Sunday, October 14, 2012

Lazy girl DIY

So remember the last post when I said I wasn't a DIYer? That not *strictly* speaking true.

I do like to make cute things and spruce up my apartment with little touches.

I just don't want to spend more than about an hour (30 minutes is ideal) doing it.

Basically, I have your classic case of lazy DIY. Where you want to make cute things, you just don't want to devote your life to it.

But I'm guessing there's more then one of you out there who is like that to, so I introduce to you: Lazy girl DIY! Where I will show you my quick, cute projects. All of which can be done with minimal skill and minimal time.

Lazy Girl DIY 1st Edition: Ugly wall-->Pretty Wall!

I love contact paper. A lot.
It's pretty, it's removable, it wipes up easily  And the new contact paper has really pretty and trendy designs. When we moved in, I bought a roll for the kitchen shelves, but I had a ton left over and wasn't sure what to do with it.  Enter: The brown wall of dooooooom.

When you live in a studio, you make "walls" out of some crazy things to separate the spaces. For my husband and I, we made a bedroom wall with a dresser, a bookshelf and a wardrobe. It borders the study/eating area of our apartment.

Exhbit A. Functional? Yes. Pretty? No.

So armed with a roll of contact paper I decided to cover the back of the dresser (the one in the middle). The wardrobe and the book shelf have porous backs so I decided to do a "spot" test (you can kind of see it in the photo) to see if the contact paper would stick or fall off.

I forgot to take photos during the process (lazy DIY remember) but essentially:

1. Measure Contact paper on dresser.
           I taped a section in the middle and then rolled it down and cut it off at the bottom. I then did the same thing for the left and right side.
2. Stick Contact paper on dresser.
          For this, I suggest help, but you could absolutely do it alone if you wanted to. Peel off the top bit of the contact paper and stick it to the top of the dresser. Press down to smooth and stick it to the dresser and keep peeling the backing off bit by bit until you reach the bottom. Repeat for the other two sides.

At this point my dresser looked like:


 Pretty good right? But I didn't like the top bits that were blank and there were some spots on the side where  the contact paper didn't quite meet up. Mainly because I can't cut in a straight line to save my life. So I decided to use some scrap contact paper cut into strips to cover up the blank spots. Like so:


Please notice all the care I took into cutting these strips. (You have to read that in a deadpan voice) After cover up all the blank spots, this is what I had:





 Yay for pretty dressers and non-ugly walls to look at! And because I believe in showing the goof ups of DIY, I present the below:




 Yeah. The edges of this dresser are porous and the contact paper doesn't stick terribly well to it. So I used tape to stick the loose edges to the side of the dresser. Will it win me any awards? Nope. But it's functional and I think you can hardly notice it. :)

Happy Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment